Thursday, July 17, 2014

Limeade Oreo cookies!

A few times a year the Fatguyfoodblog crew will go their separate ways and go on vacation. It's a break from the job and the every day grind. Everyone needs one, right? Well for a food blogger, you're never truly on vacation. I found myself in northern Vermont, near the Canadian border, still scouring stores for items that we couldn't find back in our area, and boy am I glad I did because I scored an item that has proven to be quite elusive. What is it? 
Why, the latest creation from the fine folks at Oreo...the Limited Edition Limeade Oreo cookies! 


Is that Champ in the background? 
As I sat by Lake Champlain ready to crack open this package of cookies, I realized that for once I didn't have any of the regular crew to try them with me, so I recruited the obvious choice for a review sidekick, my little nephew Mason. Despite not really understanding what a blog was, he was quite eager to help with anything that involved this colorful bag of cookies. So we tore that bag open and went to town.

This was basically torture for him. 
First thing we did was smell them. We both agreed that they did indeed smell like lime. Mason wasn't too keen on how long I took taking the pictures because I told him we had to wait to try them until we took the pictures. Right off the bat these reminded me of the Sherbet Oreos from awhile back, mostly just because of that strong green color of the creme. Then we pulled one out and I showed him how to twist the cookie open so we could get a good picture of the inside. I let him try one and he did it first try. Now came the moment of truth...

More green than the Emerald city! 
Now, I'm a man who enjoys an ice cold glass of limeade on a hot day, so you'd think I would love these. But I'm usually not a huge fan of fruit flavored cookies. But when I finally caved and the little man and I each grabbed a cookie, I was pretty happy with them! The lime creme has just the right amount of tartness to it to offset the sugary sweetness. The golden cookie was a much smarter choice than the chocolate ones with these. It's a much lighter flavor and that's definitely what you want when dealing with a summer cookie. Do they taste like limeade? I suppose? At least as much as a cookie could. I told Mason that I liked them, and asked him what he thought and took this pic while he was responding.

He was in deep thought here. 
He told me, "Well, um, I like the green stuff. It tastes like lime. It's good. Maybe once we both eat these ones, we can both get another one to have. To be sure we like them."  In case you aren't fluent in kid speak, that means he liked them. Although after the second cookie he did tell me there's too much sugar in those and that we shouldn't have more. Even at such an early age he's already got more self control when it comes to cookies than his old uncle. Upside to a little kid eating a bunch of sugar? Lots of energy to play superheroes.

Gotham's finest. 
All in all I would say the Limeade Oreo cookies are an excellent addition to your summer snacking lineup. They are limited edition so grab them while you can. They aren't overpowering at all, but they also have a nice little bit of tang to them. If you're into lime flavor, you'll probably love them.
All in all I would give them a solid B!

Big thanks to Mason for helping out with this one. He was one heck of a sidekick for food bloggin'. Maybe he'll replace Irwin for a while!

If you can think of any food item or restaurant you'd like us to review, feel free to drop us an email at fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com. You can also hit us up with any questions, comments, or just to praise us on how good a job we're doing! Follow us on Twitter for mini-reviews and live tweeting of visits to different food spots. Then, if you really want to connect with us, you can catch us on that Facebook thing.

2 comments:

  1. DUDE!!!! It's official. You are going on my favorite's bar, you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete