Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Super Seedz Gourmet Pumpkin Seeds!

With Halloween right around the corner, I'm sure we're all starting to think about decorating the house with spider-webs and fake skeletons. Well, the ones of us that are cool at all, right? Yep, I'm already planning what kind of faces I'm going to carve into the ten pumpkins that I'll be buying for Jack o' Lanterns.  Then my mind wanders to a nice batch of baked pumpkin seeds right out of the oven covered in cinnamon and sugar. So the other day when I found a package on my doorstep filled with a delightful array of flavored pumpkin seeds, I figured I was definitely in the mood to give these a try. Yes, the good folks over at Super Seedz were nice enough to send over a bag of each flavor of their famous pumpkin seeds. Some I was excited about, others not so much, but I vowed to try each one! 


Now before some of you get your panties in a bunch, that we're reviewing something that's promoted as a healthy snack, I'm going to say this: OPEN YOUR MIND, FRIEND! I'll give anything a try once, healthy or not. Also I'm sure a lot of you enjoy a bowl of nuts? Perhaps some honey roasted cashews? Pecans? Almonds? Not much different from a handful of pumpkin seeds, right? Well I'm just here to give you my unbiased review so that's what I'm going to do. ONE FLAVOR AT A TIME! First up....



The first thing I'm going to say about these seeds is that they blow the ones I make at my house out of the water. They have no outer shell on them. That awful outer shell that gets stuck in your teeth and gums? Out of the equation. You just have the seeds and the flavor. And the these have plenty of great cinnamon sugar flavor! They are very easy to just pop in your mouth by the handful. These were great!



Sea Salt? Zzzzzzzzzzzz. I guess that's better than regular salt, right? Salt from the sea makes it sound just a bit more exotic and dangerous. But yeah, these aren't bad. The seeds themselves have a great flavor but the salt doesn't add too much.


Coco Joe are a weird medley of coffee and chocolate flavor. The flavor is definitely bold and the seeds are very coated with it, compared to the others. They aren't bad but the cocoa flavor seems very fake. The flavor reminds me a lot of Cocoa Pebbles, but mixed with coffee. I found these interesting but couldn't eat too many of them in a row.


Somewhat Spicy...it's all really in the name. Anyone who reads this blog faithfully knows I'm not a fan of really spicy things. Will I eat them on a dare when I'm with my stupid friends? Yes, and I hate every second of it. That being said, I'm more into spicy than I was in my younger days, but I still don't love it. I thought these had a slight tangy taste and then a dull burn for a little bit. Nothing too bad, just...somewhat spicy. If you're into that, you'll be into these.


Tomato Italiano reminded me of the flavor of those old Pizzaria chips, but on pumpkin seeds. Do you remember those?

I can't imagine in a million years why they stopped making them. WHO DIDN'T LIKE THOSE?! But yeah, these are pretty tasty! It definitely reminds of that pizza flavor from those old chips or maybe the Pizza Pringles? But hey, that's a good thing in my book.



Curious Curry weren't my favorite because I'm not really a curry fan. To me these taste like someone rubbed them on a bouillon cube. But this is one of those things where it's just a personal preference because I let someone try them who loves curry and he nearly ate the whole bag. So curry fans? You'll love these. Me? DID NOT.



Maple Sugar & Sea Salt were my favorite of the entire bunch. I'm not going to even beat around the bush. I'm from New England and maple syrup runs through our veins. Toss in a little exciting sea salt and you've got me sold. These burst with sweet maple flavor and I'll have you know this bad was gone in no time. Definitely a delicious snack!




Really Naked. These ones were plain. I was expecting to taste a few and then scoff at them. "WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT PLAIN FLAVORED ANYTHING?!" But you know what? These really give you a chance to taste the actual pumpkin seeds without anything else getting in the way and they aren't bad! But they aren't bad for a handful. Then after that I was reaching for one of the more tasty options.


And finally, the flavor I dreaded trying the most...SUPER SPICY! I had flashbacks of the worst experience with a hot item ever, (At a place called Bingas Wingas in Yarmouth, Maine...their 08' Fire Sauce is hell in a bottle), and I knew that these could never be close to that bad. So I filled my hand and dumped them in my mouth. These were very similar in flavor to the Somewhat spicy, but the heat was turned way up. They ended up not being too bad though. I was able to keep myself composed and didn't rush for a drink. Just nice flavorful steady burn for a bit. If you're a fan of the heat, these might be good for you, but maybe not hot enough!

Looking for something different to snack on? Give Super Seedz a try! Definitely an out of the ordinary review for us but I thought they were overall a pretty solid product and I would definitely buy up a bag of the Maple & Sea Salt again if I saw them in a store!

Be sure to check out their website for more great info on these! You can find it HERE.  They let you know all about the flavors, and if you're into it, the plentiful healthy info about these. AND if you're one of our readers who are concerned about GMO's and Food allergies, these might be your new favorite snack!

Be sure to let us know if you see something you'd like us to review! We can't read minds (YET), so help us out! You can email us at fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com!
Also follow us on Twitter: @fatguyfoodblog
and like our facebook page! FACEBOOK.COM/FATGUYFOODBLOG
OH yeah, also follow us on Instagram, babaaaaaay: @fatguyfoodblog there too!

Review by Rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment