Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cap'n Crunch's Sprinkled Donut Crunch!

Despite being over the age of 30, I have to say, I still eat Captain Crunch on a regular basis. Sometimes I mix it up and get a box of Crunch Berries or Peanut Butter Crunch too. I'm not that picky when it comes to the Crunch family. I know I can count on any one of them to become my irresponsible late night adult dinner at anytime. But here and there the Cap'n will try something different. Sometimes these are great, and sometimes not so much. But when I stumbled upon Sprinkled Donut Crunch in the supermarket the other day, I knew I would at least have to give it a try. I owe the Cap'n that much. We have a long and storied past.


Apparently the Cap'n now has the power to shoot sprinkles from his hands?

So if I'm reading this right, it's supposed to be a sweet breakfast cereal that tastes like frosted donuts with sprinkles. I can't say it's a bad taste for a cereal to try to mimic. But does it ACTUALLY taste like that? Well...kinda. I dove right in and poured myself a massive bowl. I don't play around with tiny plastic bowls. I need a monster bowl that I can pour a quarter of a box of cereal into. I also need it to be glass because when you write for the most popular snack blog in the history of the human race, you gotta snap those pictures! So I need to be able to see the colors the milk is changing. I need to see what sort of debris is collecting on the bottom. Luckily I scored these bowls a few years back. They are perfect. 

Like any other Cap'n Crunch cereal, they are pretty solid before you hit them with milk. Those of you who have weak mouths that get shredded by the Cap'ns cereal will find the same thing happening with Sprinkled Donut Crunch. Those of you who aren't massive wimps, who's gums can stand up to eating a simple breakfast cereal without ripping like tissue paper, shouldn't have any problems. But once submerged in milk, they soften up nicely. Ol' Grandma can slurp them up with her dentures out if you leave them sitting in milk for a good ten minutes. 


Up close they look kinda sloppy. 
Did they taste like donuts? Yeah. I mean, as much as a piece of cereal could. At first you think it might just be a regular sweet cereal taste, but then after a moment you realize that, yeah it does taste a bit like a donut. Enough to base a cereal around it? Maybe not. I enjoyed the flavor but in the end I think I would rather have a bowl of original Cap'n Crunch with a donut on the side.

Bottom line, I give Cap'n Crunch's Sprinkled Donut Crunch a C+. Nothing special, but not terrible. If you scoop up a box, you'll finish it, but you won't rush to the store to stock your cabinets before this limited flavor is gone forever.

As always, feel free to drop us an email if you have an item you think we should review. You can email us at fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com . Also follow us on TWITTER, and if you have one of those Facebook things, you can Like our page and get all the latest FGFB news, plus lots of other fun stuff!



4 comments:

  1. I thought it tasted more like a sugar cookie than a donut. Not great but not terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find them? I've been looking since they were announced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freaking great. I've never been a Capt. Crunch fan except crunch berries, but this is great. Still nothing has been able to unseat cocoa pebbles but for non chocolate this gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete