Monday, May 11, 2015

Cheez-It Crunch'd! Cheddar Cheese and Hot & Spicy!

Here at Fatguyfoodblog headquarters, we're always getting fun stuff in the mail. Barely a day goes by where we don't receive a package stuff with some sort of goodies. Some we get and they aren't a right fit for the blog, like that time we got a box of diet snacks. WRONG BLOG, BUDDY! But usually we get cool things to share with our readers. But every once in a while a company hits a home run with presentation and then we're instantly excited to try the product. Well our friends over at Nabisco did just that! The other day we got a huge box in the mail. Open it up and we see this...

What in the cheezy hell?
It was basically a Cheez-it hat box. I was praying there wasn't actually going to be a hat inside because I didn't want to have to trade out my sweet floppy winter hat for a neon pink Cheez-it trucker cap.


The moment I lifted the lid I was greeted with the sound of crunching. For a moment I thought that the package was about to explode and coat the inside of my apartment in cheese powder, as a part of some elaborate prank. But no, just a sweet display for new Cheez-It CRUNCH'D!

Yes the package actually CRUNCHED! 


After taking a quick look at the insert they included, which gave me important information that I may need in the future. Such as, that this was Cheez-It's first venture out of the cracker aisle and into the chip aisle. Also that they are made with 100% real cheese. Oh, and how to create a "crunchapult" with which you can launch Cheez-It Crunch'D pieces into your own mouth. I decided against this. Mostly because I didn't have the materials on hand. If they had been included in this box, I probably would have made one and shot the damn things all over my apartment.


Since I'm a wimp about hot stuff and I'm expecting the spicy ones to be too much for me to handle, I start out with the Cheddar Cheese flavor first! I had been wondering if these were just going to be Cheetos in square form, but once I got a look at them, they almost looked more like breakfast cereal.




But they were definitely packed with a serious cheese flavor. Every single one of these things was drenched in cheese powder and they had an interesting crunch to them. Very similar to a Cheeto but also with a familiar corn crunch that definitely does remind me of some old cereals. But together the maximum cheese flavor and great texture and crunch combine quite well!



Cheddar Cheese CHEEZ-IT Crunch'D are a great snack alternative in the cheesy chip realm. If you are usually a Cheetos snacker, perhaps give these a try instead next time. They are in the same ballpark but definitely their own thing. High cheese flavor and a great crunch. I give these a B+!

Too spicy? Or not spicy enough? 

Next up we ripped into the Hot & Spicy flavor. If I were in a store, I would have stayed away from these. I'm a wimp when it comes to hot stuff. I don't mind a little burn here and there, mild to medium, but a bag of chips with a bottle of Tobasco and a bunch of peppers on it? Hell no, son. I'll pass. But since these arrived on my doorstep and the readers want to know, I gave them a whirl. Turns out? They are excellent. I actually like them a lot more than the Cheddar Flavor!


These are DRENCHED IN CHEESE DUST! 

The Hot & Spicy version ended up not really being either of those things! They are very similar to the Cheddar Cheese version except these seem somehow a BIT MORE CHEESY! Not only that, but they also have a great tangy flavor to them. Very slight spice. I found that the only time I had even the beginning of a burn with these was after I ate an embarrassing amount in one sitting. I actually think these should be kicked up a notch or two! But I still thought they were great. If you're a true lover of hot stuff and are expecting a serious mouth burn from these, you might find them a bit too mild, but if you are a wimp to the hot stuff like I am and want to impress your pals by looking tough eating hot chips while not actually getting your mouth all burned to hell, these are PERFECT. The better of the two, they get an A from me!

As always, feel free to drop us a line to tell us about something you would like us to review, or just to tell us how much you love us! You can email us at fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com ! Also remember we are on Twitter! Sometimes we Live Tweet visits to cool places and we send you out all kinds of cool snack news and weird snack items we find out there in the world. You can follow us, @fatguyfoodblog ! Last but not least, we're also on Facebook! Give our page a LIKE so you can keep up with all the latest FGFB news!



2 comments: