Friday, May 31, 2013

Pop-Tarts Gone Nutty: Peanut Butter & Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter...FINALLY.

Since I was a small child I've enjoyed a good Pop-Tart. I preferred the frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon or Strawberry Frosted. Sure I'd try all the other wacky flavors as they came along but these two were my favorite. But even as a wee tot, looking at the complete catalog of Pop-Tart flavors I would wonder..."Why isn't there a peanut butter Pop-Tart?" This is a question that has plagued many for years and years, since the dawning of the Pop-Tart age. Well...after what seems like a lifetime Kellogs has finally answered our prayers. 

The boxes are glossy and embossed! 
Instead of giving us just one option, they have given us two. Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter and what one might call the "healthier" option, just Peanut Butter. They come in a beautiful glossy box that jumps out from all the rest of the Pop-Tarts on the shelf. I felt like a golden beam from heaven was shining on the display in the store.

Golllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld!
As if that wasn't enough, they have even abandoned the classic silver foil that every other Pop-Tart comes wrapped in and they have given us this golden foil instead! When I cracked open the box it was like opening a treasure chest filled with pirate's gold. But it was better than gold, it was the answer to all of our dreams!

Someone got lazy...

First up is the Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter. You can see here that the actual cake part of it is a chocolate. Not quite as intense as the other chocolate pop tarts in color. Also the frosting...underwhelming. Looks like someone doing a half assed job of frosting spreading. Really not that impressive just looking at them. 


But inside lies a creamy peanut butter filling. It has a very similar consistency to the filling in other non-fruit Pop-Tarts, but it's sweet and peanut buttery. When you get a bite that has frosting, peanut butter and cake, it's fantastic. Like a glimpse into peanut butter heaven. However, with the piss poor job they did frosting it, sometimes you just get a bite of the cake part and it's pretty bland. But overall I was pretty happy with these. They might not be what I had hoped for after wishing for twenty years, but I have to say, as a peanut butter lover, the only complaint here is the bad frosting job because the cake without any filling or frosting is just eating a spoonful of sawdust.

Notice the sugar crystals. These things aren't healthy after all! 
Next up is the straight up Peanut Butter. No frosting here folks. Just Pop-Tart cake, peanut butter filling and a sprinklin' of sugar on top. Could these possibly live up to the frosted ones?


Sadly the answer is no. Not only are they not even close to as good, but they just taste...weird. I can't put my finger on it. The cake part is better than on the others but the filling is strange. It's quite different from the filling in the Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter version. I would go as far as to say it's barely even noticeable as peanut butter at all. I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever get these again.

+5 flavor XP for toasting. 

As always with Pop-Tarts after toasting them, they are a bit better. The Chocolate PB version skyrockets to tremendous while the regular PB version goes from kinda gross to, "Eh, Okay these are alright I guess." However, I strongly caution you! These Pop-Tarts are somehow much more prone to burning than others. Toaster oven might also work better than the traditional toaster that I used.

In the end, I think I may have hyped these up too much in my brain over 20 years of imagining how incredible they would be. But the Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter are pretty damn fantastic anyway, but you may want to steer clear of the regular Peanut Butter version.

Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts: Untoasted-B+ Toasted-A
Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts: Untoasted-D+ Toasted-C
Review by Rich!

6 comments:

  1. hmmm, looks like these highly anticipated flavours have been quite a disappointment,and you're right, that's a really shitty frosting job, hopefully they're not all like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. My regular ones taste great, maybe you got a bad batch? I can't wait to try out the frosted ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got mine at Walmart, both kinds. I think they're amazing! I prefer the unfrosted ones though, the frosted ones are too sweet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walmart, but truthfully, we haven't seen them since. Hopefully they just did a small batch and not the "super limited edition then gone forever" thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I just had an idea. What if you got the chocolate peanut butter pop-tarts and the fruit flavor of your choice (strawberry or wildberry would be my suggestion), then you toasted them and made a PB&J with the pop-tarts as the bread?!? Amazeballs, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXCELLENT idea. Thank you for my next midnight snack!

      Delete