Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter & Cookies!

Every time I start thinking it's been a while since I've seen a new Ben & Jerry's flavor, I end up looking in the freezer section the next time I'm in a supermarket and end up finding one. That's exactly what happened with their new limited batch, Peanut Butter & Cookies. I had just gotten done talking to one of the fellow writers of this very website when this one jumped out at me and you can bet I bought it without a second thought! 

Sounds so good, right?

Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter & Cookies boasts Sweet Cream Ice cream with chocolate sandwich cookies and a crunchy peanut butter swirl. So basically, everything awesome that you could ever want in an ice cream, right? Alright, maybe not EVERYTHING. But still. Sounds pretty solid! If it's half as good as Milk & Cookies it will be a home run for sure! (If you've never tried Milk & Cookies, take a quick look at this review from the FGFB archives by our ex-writer Mike. God bless his poor soul.) 


After peeling the lid off, things were looking good. It definitely looked like Milk & Cookies, but with some peanut butter swirls. The best part of Milk & Cookies is that there was no bite that was just ice cream. Every single inch of that ice cream was loaded with cookie crumbs. This looked the same!

Looks like I'm trying to sip it like fine wine. 

You can almost see the wonder in my eyes. I was so sure that this was going to be incredible. Everything my cookie and peanut butter loving brain could ever want. But, alas, I was wrong. Peanut Butter & Cookies was actually not that good at all. What was the problem? The "chocolate sandwich cookies", that's what. The actual ice cream was okay and the crunchy peanut butter swirl was tasty and added a nice crunch here and there, as well as some saltiness to battle against the sweet. But those cookies are TERRIBLE. I literally unearthed an entire cookie in the middle of this pint. It hadn't been smashed or shredded or anything. The entire thing was there like some Mayan artifact dug up by a gang of thieves in the jungle. I stared at it in awe but when I spooned it into my mouth I might as well have popped a cleverly disguised piece of cardboard in there instead. Bland. Barely any taste at all. Then I realized that all the cookie pieces were like this.  Those cookie pieces that are in every single bite.


If you look back through our history with Ben & Jerry's flavors, there are very few that we've ever given bad reviews. We love those guys. But this time there's no saving it. I, for one, am happy this is a limited batch because it doesn't deserve to stick around. I would say bypass giving this one a try and grab up one of your old favorites instead, like Chubby Hubby, or Phish Food! Otherwise you're going to get a generic sweet ice cream with salty peanut butter swirls and big gobs of tasteless fake cookies.
Hey Ben, Jerry, I know you're trying to save a few bucks on ingredients and all, but I know some guys over at Nabisco who do a pretty good chocolate sandwich cookie. Perhaps you should team up!

Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter & Cookies: D-

Want to argue with us about our review? Do it in the comments! Have ideas for upcoming reviews? Want us to review your stuff? Hit us up online. Here's how:
EMAIL
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
INSTAGRAM

Review by Rich Brunelle, who currently resides on the West Coast, until Mt. St. Helens decides to erupt and set off a chain reaction that dumps the entire left side of the country into the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment